Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Muny 2011 Season Preview -Part III

Alright, back to it.
Sorry, I had a crazy last few weeks, but this is the finale of the Muny Previews.
For the last two shows, we've got some classics:

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers
 August 1-7
This will be the fifth time for this musical to be at the Muny, and yet another one this season that had Howard Keel star in the theatrical version.
The Muny has put this one on every six years lately, but I can understand why. It allows for a big cast; lots of energetic dancing that takes up the whole stage; and is classical, colourful, musical fun. The trick is finding a male lead that is strong, but still likeable, and a female lead that can hold herself and stand out despite being one stage with seven other actors.
This one is a good show for people who haven't been to the Muny before, because it takes advantage of the space like few shows can. On other stages, SBfSB can seem cramped, but with the real estate available, the brothers and their brides can be more expressive in their movements.

Bye Bye Birdie
August 8-14
For the final show this season, the Muny brings you Bye Bye Bridie for the sixth time in their history. This one is popular for the dance numbers, comedy, and for the chance to utilize the Muny Teens group. The movie version in the sixties starred Dick Van Dyke, Ann Margret, and Paul Lynde.
... okay, personally, this is not my favourite show. Don't get me wrong, I love Dick Van Dyke and all he stands for, but I could never get into this show. The cynical part of me says it did not age well, but then again, perhaps it's snapshot of the late fifties early sixties is perfect for this day and age. It is probably just me.

See, this is why the Muny does such a variety of shows, because there is something for everybody. If you don't like Little Shop of Horrors, then maybe you'll like Birdie, or Legally Blonde instead. The variance is what makes the Muny great. Some directors would look at the large stage with no flys and outdoors as a challenge, but the Muny rises up to it (almost) every time.

I think one of my next posts may be about the better shows I have seen at the Muny, followed by the few times they just came short.

Anyway, I hope that this guide informs you alittle more about this season.
I know I am looking forward to my Thursday nights this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment