Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Muny 2011 Season Preview -Part I

Let's talk about the offerings of The Muny this summer.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with it, the Muny is America's oldest and largest outdoor musical theatre. It's been in Forest Park (of 1904 World's Fair fame,) since the 19teens, and has continued to show professional productions made entirely in-house for over 90 years.
Did you know that a young Archie Leach worked here in 1931? Maybe you'd know him better as Cary Grant.

Anyway, enough gushing about one of my favourite places.
I've been a subscriber there for over ten years, and have seen my share of productions (7 each summer,) so I'd like to do a preview of the upcoming shows this year.

Legally Blonde
June 20-26
This is the first time this show will be seen at the Muny
Alright, I am only familiar with the movie upon which this musical is based, with Reese Witherspoon and Victor Garber.
Although the song: Bend and Snap is on my Dance on Broadway Wii game.
It has gotten rave reviews, and I am sure that the peppy and pink will translate great on stage. May have to watch the movie prior to seeing it.
The Muny has a Large Stage, and it is Very Important that any production uses as much of the space as possible. (See the failings of The Producers back in 2008, where they used boxed sets on stage. Blech!)
I hope to see sorority girls and Harvard students dancing up the wazzoo all over that space! And their Elle Woods best have a big enough personality to fill it!

Kiss Me, Kate
June 27- July 6
Oh Kiss Me, Kate. What a great Cole Porter musical within a musical based on a Shakespearian play.
The 1953 movie version with Muny Alumni Howard Keel and Ann Miller was fantastic. The show itself was last between the Muny Oaks back in 1991, so it is due a return. (The Muny does repeat popular shows now and then, esp. classics like this one.)
The theatre is an excellent setting for this show, with the front stage and back stage antics able to be on a large set. They may not even need to change scenes too much, depending on their use of the turntable.
Get some strong leads in these roles, and keep some of the Young Bob Fosse choreography, and it will be a hit.

The Little Mermaid
July 6-14
Also new to the Muny.
It is a Muny tradition that one show a year be the "Kids' Show," otherwise known as a show that is more kid-friendly, and marketed as such.
This year is a great choice, with The Little Mermaid being something that can fill the stage well, and have lots of colour and fun. I am planning on bringing my niece to this one, because I am sure it will keep her attention and excitement all the way to the encore. 
That, and I am a sucker for Howard Ashman and Alan Menken scores.
I have yet to see the stage version, but the movie itself came out during prime me-as-a-grade-schooler age,  and I have seen a few clips on the internet, so I am rather pumped to see how this turns out.

So that gets us through the first half of the season, I will post later on the rest of the preview.

No comments:

Post a Comment